I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it.
Pablo Picasso
My father also taught me a powerful lesson about this: he told me that I can`t wait to be ready to perfection to start working on any area, because I´ll never be. That helped me to balance my past compulsive perfectionism and to lead a healthier, less stressful life. So right now, if you see it in this way, I thrive in mediocrity! ;) I do as many different things as I feel like to do, but I am not the best at any of them. But that´s ok. I have understood that
1) no one is as good as they seem, anyway. We are all selling ourselves to others most of the time
2) in any subject, there is far too much information about everything around, as to be able to absorbe it all fast enough
3) no matter how much you think you know, you can be surprised anytime by someone who knows much more than you do (and is less vain about it)
4) the more I know, the more I see I still need to learn anyway
5) being "the best" in the world we live in is far too expensive in personal terms. Show me the best person in one area, and I´ll show you somoene whose life is completely out of balance
So although I strive to do my best, I think a rich personal life where all the areas of your life -(career, love, family, friends...) are balanced appropriately is really much better than any payoff you can get from being "the best" in one particular area.
Besides, I suspect that loads of those who strive for perfection have deep psychological unresolved issues, are trying to impress someone instead of working in their own happiness, or both. And I know that´s not the path I want to follow. So do I care for perfection? Yes, of course, I try my best all the time. Now, do I allow it to take over my life, or do I let my "critic father" be too hard with me? No. Not anymore. Because now, I know better. Because I´ve been there...
1 comment:
Thanx for you comment at my blog
http://ramones-ru.livejournal.com/68177.html
Your post impressed me so much, so i translated it and shared with my friends. I hope you don't mind. The title "the speech of a loser?" stands for attraction only. There's no misunderstanding in realizing you ideas - just a kind of irony. If you see commentaries in my blog - my friends liked your post. I often read your blog. I know you position and i wanted my friends to meet you ideas. And i didn't mean, that looser are you! Please, don't be angry.
Thank you!
Sergey "HAba" Khabaroff
Post a Comment